Please visit USAWE.org for more information about the sport in the United States.
In October of 2020, the Board of WE United unanimously approved the creation of USA Working Equitation, which
is now the unified national organization for the sport in the United States.
Once USAWE receives official 501(c)(3) recognition as a non-profit charity, WE United will begin the process of dissolution as a separate organization.
WE United is a member-led, non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the sport of Working Equitation throughout the United States of America. We were officially incorporated in the state of Oregon as a member-based nonprofit in early February, 2016. We formed:
- For the integrity of the sport.
- For the benefit of competitors.
- For the strength of a united team.
Our purpose is to promote the sport of Working Equitation in the USA through educational initiatives, community outreach, and the organization of Working Equitation competitions throughout the United States in a way that promotes the welfare of the horse and the practice of good horsemanship.
WE United is sustained financially by membership dues, proceeds from our Judge Video Feedback Program, and our generous sponsors. Donations to WE United are tax-deductible.
The first election for the Board of Directors took place in the fall of 2016. Over 68% of Adult US members participated in the election, and the Board of Directors officially took office on October 16, 2016.
As a 501(c)(3) public benefit charity, WE United is committed to transparent and ethical governance. We were granted our 501(c)(3) status by the IRS on August 16, 2016 and the WE United Bylaws were formally adopted by the elected Board of Directors on October 20, 2016.
WE United is formally recognized as a USEF Alliance Partner, an important step toward helping Working Equitation become fully-recognized as an all-breed stand-alone discipline within the United States Equestrian Federation.
WE United is structured into distinct geographical Regions. The purpose of Regions is to provide geographically-based representation in the governance of the Association.
Regions are defined as:
- Region 1: Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana.
- Region 2: California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Hawaii, and U.S. territories in the Pacific.
- Region 3: Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, and Colorado.
- Region 4: New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana.
- Region 5: Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky.
- Region 6: New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
- Region 7: Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and US territories in the Atlantic.
- International: All locations outside the United States of America.
NUMBER OF DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors must consist of no fewer than seven (7) and no more than thirteen (13) members, consisting of:
Not more than one (1) member representing each of the following geographic regions: Region 1, Region 2, Region 3, Region 4, Region 5, Region 6, and Region 7.
The following officers: President, President Elect, Past President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Election Process for Officers. When such positions are open, each voting member will have the right to vote for one candidate for the office of President, President Elect, and Secretary. The President, President Elect, and Past President will each serve one-year terms, in a three-year rotation. The Secretary and Treasurer will each serve one-year terms.
Anyone interested in Working Equitation is invited to join WE United to help grow and support the sport within the United States.
Current Board of Directors
President: Julie Alonzo (Oregon)
Past President: Polly Limond (California)
President Elect: Trish Kiefer-Reed (Montana)
Treasurer: Erin O’Shaughnessy (Washington)
Secretary: Tracey Erway (Oregon)
Region 1 Director: Kristine Strasburger (Idaho)
Region 2 Director: Sarah Pinney (California)
Region 3 Director: Cindy Branham (Kansas)
Region 4 Director: Kiki Pantaze (Texas)
Region 5 Director: Emily Kent (Wisconsin)
Region 6 Director: Barry Dornon (Maryland)
Region 7 Director: Heather Walters (Florida)
WE United encourages all of our members to help support the sport of Working Equitation by hosting or getting involved in local Working Equitation events. To run effectively and affordably, most Working Equitation competitions and events in the United States depend on volunteers. Volunteering at such competitions is also an excellent way to learn more about the sport. Typical volunteer positions at Working Equitation competitions may include:
- Course setters/resetters/take-down crew
- Timers to manually time the Speed and/or Cow trials
- Scribes to notate the judge’s scores and comments during the Dressage and EOH trials
- Gate stewards to let horses in and out of the competition arena(s)
Click here to see WE United’s calendar of Working Equitation events in your area. Please reach out to the event organizers to discuss their need for volunteers, if any.
In addition, WE United is accepting Working Equitation photos to be included on the WE United website. If you have photos that you would like to have considered for publication on our website, please email them to WorkingEquitationUnited@gmail.com.